- Be Alert
- Cook only when you are alert. You won’t be alert if you are sleepy, have taken medicine or drugs that make you drowsy, or have consumed alcohol.
- Watch what you heat
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
- If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly. Stay in the home while the food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.
- Keep Things Away From The Stove
- Keep the stovetop, burners, and oven clean.
- Keep anything that can catch fire – potholders, oven mitts, paper or plastic bags boxes, and curtains – away from your stove top.
- Wear short sleeves, fitted, or rolled-up sleeves when cooking. Loose-fitting sleeves can catch fire.
- Prevent Scalds & Burn
- Turn pot handles away from the stove’s edge.
- Keep hot foods and liquids away from the edges of tables and counters.
- Open microwaved food slowly, away from the face. Let food cool for a minute or more before eating.
- Electrical Safety
- Replace cracked or damaged appliance cords.
- If an appliance feels too hot, smokes, or gives off a strange odor, unplug it immediately and have it serviced or replaced.
- Unplug small appliances when not in use.
- Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) installed at kitchen counters reduce the risk of shock by shutting off electricity when it becomes a shock hazard. Test GFCIs monthly by pushing the test button.
- Keep Kids & Pets Away From Cooking Area
- Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove.
- Never hold a child while you are cooking, consuming, or carrying hot food or hot liquid.
Know what to do if you have a Fire
Small Grease Fire
Always keep an oven mitt and a lid handy. Slide a lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.
Turn off the oven and keep the oven door closed. Have the oven serviced before you use it again
Microwave Oven Fire
Keep the door closed and unplug the microwave, if possible. Have the microwave oven serviced before you use it again.