What is the Public Safety Cadet program?
The West Fargo Police Safety Cadet Unit is a unique career exploration program for young men and women ages 14 to 20. The program provides educational training for young adults on the purposes, mission and objectives of law enforcement. The program provides career orientation experiences, leadership opportunities and community service activities. The primary goals of the program is to help young adults choose a career path within law enforcement and to challenge them to become responsible citizens of their communities and the nation.
West Fargo Police Cadets Unit
Through hands-on training, Cadets learn about basic police procedures, techniques and tactics. They also tour facilities of agencies that work closely with law enforcement. Cadets have the opportunity to test what they have learned in competitions with other police Cadets. Cadets also help the police department with local community events such as parades and community picnics.
West Fargo Police Cadets will receive training that will not only prepare them for law enforcement specific applications, but also to be effective adults in the community. Many Cadets go on to become police officers and the skills learned through the program are invaluable. Cadets that do not choose law enforcement as a career come away with valuable life skills such as effective communication, problem solving, leadership, and more.
The West Fargo Police Public Safety Cadets meet twice monthly, generally on Thursday evenings.
If you're curious about the possibility of a career in law enforcement, we invite you to participate.
Course Content - What We Do
- Arrest and Search Procedures
- Community Events
- Crime Scenes
- Defensive Tactics
- Dispatch Tour
- Drug Enforcement
- DUI Enforcement
- End of Year Award Ceremony
- Fire Department Tour
- Firearm Safety
- Police Department Tour
- Police K-9 Demo
- Summer Field Trip
- SWAT / Bomb Squad / Negotiations
- Traffic Stops
- Traffic / Crowd Control
- Use of Force
- Ages 14 (and completed the 8th grade) through 21 (must have been with our unit prior to graduating high school)
- Attend at least 70% of meetings.
- Be willing to volunteer time to participate in Cadet Unit functions
- Clear criminal record
- Maintain 2.0 Grade Point Average or better
- Mature, responsible, self-disciplined and dedicated
- Must abide by all rules and regulations which govern the West Fargo Police Cadets Unit
- Respectable driving record
- Interest in law enforcement